I remember ordering for myself as a kid (which is always a big deal) while in California. I can’t remember what I ate, but I remember that I ordered a Coke. To my disappointment, they brought me a Coke. I wanted Dr. Pepper. The conversation was supposed to go:
“What would you like to drink?”
“What kind of Coke would you like?”
Apparently that person did not grow up in the South or have Southern parents. Because that conversation did not go that way at all.
That being said, here is a list of my top 10 favorite sodas (I have to say soda because I’m in St. Louis, but said pop when I was in Chicago. When in Rome…)
10. Nehi Grape – Normally, I am not a fruit soda kind of guy. I’ll drink it if I have to, but Nehi Grape is hands down the best grape soda out there. I’m sure you can find it online, but I know that most if not all Cracker Barrels have it.
9. A & W Cream Soda – Yum. It’s like drinking one of those butterscotch Dum Dums. However, it is so sweet that this is one soda of which I can only drink one can at a time.
8. Sierra Mist (Mist Twst) – This is the only clear soda on the list. I’m not a fan of lemon-lime, but Sierra Mist is not too terrible. I remember watching one of their commercials and the words that were repeated time and again, were something like, “It doesn’t bite.” Not being a fan of these types of sodas, I didn’t understand. Then one day, months later, I drank a Sprite and it stung my mouth. A few days later, because there was nothing else, I drank of Sierra Mist. No bite, no sting. I will say, it doesn’t take much to make me excited. I finally understood! It will always be Sierra Mist to me.
7. Hires Root Beer – The root beer no one has heard of. Every time I hear the song, “The Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding, I want to drink some root beer. Click here; you’ll understand.
6. Cherry Pepsi – I don’t get why names have to change. It’s Cherry Pepsi, not Pepsi Wild Cherry. The same could go for Mr. Pibb and Pibb Xtra (Sierra Mist and Mist Twst). I like cherry flavor (though not cherries), and so number 6 is Cherry Pepsi, but:
5. Cherry Coke – These people know how to keep a name! (I choose to ignore the Coke II, Coca Cola fiasco).
4. Pepsi – I’m a simple guy. Pepsi will satisfy me. It’s a bit sweeter than a Coke, but it’ll do.
3. Coca Cola – The original is great. I’ll usually take the Coke over Pepsi, though there are times I have a sweet tooth and want more sugariness.
2. Dr. Pepper – I’ve been told it tastes like medicine. Hello! It’s in the name. Dr. Pepper. I like grape cough syrup too, so maybe I’m just strange. By the way: there is nothing like a glass bottle of Dr. Pepper.
1. Vanilla Coke – Need I say more? I cannot tell you how happy I am when I see a Coca Cola Freestyle machine in restaurants. It’s the only time I can have Vanilla Coke. Want to make me happy? Bring me a big (or small) cup of Vanilla Coke. All will be right in the world.
A quick note: there are no diet or sugar free (zero) sodas on my list. That’s because they are soda-heresy. People who drink these types of sodas are sodalists in my book, committing sodalism. I would just about rather die than drink a diet soda. The only exception, if I’m on the brink of death would be a Diet Dr. Pepper, but even then it would take some prodding.
So what did I get wrong? Did I forget anything? Let me know. Comment below.